View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Default Re: Reality Rosa: A world where Communism works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Nice write-up. More detail than I can remember from my history classes for comparison. BTW, what happened to Bilarus' in the early days? Did it join the red side immediately? What more can you tell about the White Guardia?

All in all, this is a commie world I actually like, especially the calendar. (I need more info on the language before I can make my mind. I get the impression that it's a flective language, which IMO isn't all that easy.)
I felt you needed an answer. The only reason I know anything about Belarus is from my studies of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, so I spent a good long while studying up on the subject, especially the history to the present.

Quite frankly, I can't think of another nation other than the Native American Nations or the African peoples of South Africa that has been as badly abused by their more-powerful neighbors as Belarus. It looks like everyone around them considered the territory something to be carved up to suit their whims while the people were expendable resources. Not to mention the Soviets using them as a body shield against the Nazis. (I looked up Operation Barbarossa and I suspect that Stalin weakened the Soviet defenses there on purpose, to slow down the Nazis in dead bodies while he moved industries in Russia to safety in the Urals.) Many congratulations for rebuilding so well!

But I believe it was mentioned that in this new timeline, the native cultures were encouraged rather than suppressed. So Belarus might enjoy an early renaissance of their national identity. Not to mention a new prosperity based on being at a good position for trade and industrial growth (and NOT losing the bulk of their population to the Nazis - it helps to have enough people to exploit the land's natural wealth properly).

As for the White Guard - would they have their monarchist bent? If so, they might actually try to promote a pretender to a Belarus Throne, likely a Romanov. Otherwise, they might evolve into the "lunatic fringe" of the new worlds' politics. Since they were never a unified movement in the first place, I suspect they would fragment and fade away - revolutionary movements (or counter-revolutionary ones) don't do well in times of prosperity.

Anyway, that's the best guess.
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote