View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Need help with some stuff with Ritual/Path magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
IIRC, you can use the Bestow a Penalty modifier to lower their resistance roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I was under the impression that the bestow a bonus/penalty modifier had to be used on a separate spell that pierced the targets defenses so that they would be "under the effects of the -resistance" spells, in order for the other one to actually be used.

Can you use the bestows a penalty in order to make a spell you cast harder to resist if that is part of the spell?
Quote:
I can't say where I read it without looking around a bit, but I'm 98% sure that you can add Bestow a Penalty to a ritual to make the spell harder to resist. I'm sure someone will correct me if I misremember. On the offchance that I remember wrong, which has happened, I have played that way in campaigns without issues, so shouldn't pose a problem even if it turns out it's not RAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
This, in fact, is not RAW. PK has addressed his concerns over allowing it here:

Full Thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=119351
Since this is the third or fourth thread I have read this morning with this in it let me make it clear: Adding additional energy to a spell via Bestows a Bonus for energy-gathering Ritual Path Magic is probably (as PK has noted) probably a crock. However, effect-shaping Ritual Path Magic probably isn't and I am in fact using it in my current campaign. DF19 makes it explicitly allowable for that particular system.

Quote:
As for batteries, I was thinking of using the exempt on Ravens and pennies about the ability to make one time use "batteries" for it since my game is only a 150 pt fantasy game.
Let me know how that goes.

Quote:
I checked out the batteries on raven and pennies, and that should work great. Ghostdancer is something of a real life magician when it comes to RPM, so if I happen to say something that goes against what he has written, I'm probably wrong.
Pfft.

Quote:
Alright. I bought the article. I'm glad that I did. It's pretty much indispensable now.
Heh.

Quote:
I do have a couple questions though. PKs example had conduit at lvl 4, I thought talents had a cap of 3?
Nope. Level four (or higher depending on the campaign).

Quote:
And in the section of ritual symbols on pg 13, why does it change farm creation time to 2 hours? That seems a bit excessive to me. What am I missing there?
Mostly as a tradeoff for the bonuses symbols give (lower difficulty of core skill, reduced energy cost, and reduced penalty per gathering attempt).

Quote:
And lastly (for now), the perk, mighty spell, what is its text? It may be because I'm extremely tired, but I can't seem to find how it works.
GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles (p. 27) explains it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote