View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Post nuke Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
FEMA's 1990 "Nuclear Attack Planning Base" document is a county-by-county list of their expectations of nuclear attack effects in the entire US at that time. Since that's a 500-page monster document, and scanned images so not searchable, here's an image of Alaska that's supposed to be based on that report. It shows four nukes in the Fairbanks area, compared to only one each on Anchorage and Juneau (and six others elsewhere in the state, including one on Kodiak Island). So Fairbanks rated a third of the total warheads dropped on the state, at least according to 1990's FEMA.

That's a really nice find! A few notes:

Most of the maps are in the two annexes, which start off an intro and follow very quickly with tables of contents. you have to find the region for the state you're looking for, but two pages of scanning will give you the exact page. The pages are scanned and simple but get the point across. Blast waves are very clearly marked, and the psi for given areas listed. Fallout is done by county which is much less useful.

Unfortunately, map quality for very large states (California and Texas) is rather low, and maps for outside of the contiguous 48 are "published separately)

These assume a 1990 attack, which you should keep in mind: some population centers have shifted.

Also, remember that this is made by FEMA, and I don't know what kind of security clearance or effort level was put into it. It was built by civilians, not soldiers. When I look at areas I know well, I spot things that make me scratch my head. In particular, Duchesne county in Utah gets nuked in an off-center fashion (12,000 population at the time, middle of nowhere, nuke placed on the east side of the population area) while similarly sized communities all across rural Utah are untouched. Including the larger community 30 miles away, and Washington county, which had 40k at the time (and now has 160k, remember what I said about population centers). I can only figure its centered on the now-defunct oil refinery.

But good find, and don't be scared of using the PDF's. They're actually easy to use.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote