Thread: Killing Slavers
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #99
LordMunchkin

Default Re: Killing Slavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Slavery is an evil, but isn't it a bit of a reductive simplification to declare all societies where evils may be encountered as 'ultimately evil'?

Even if you do, where does that leave you?

Is the violent destruction of civilisation always going to be a lesser evil?
I believe a society which practices widespread slavery is mostly evil. I'm not a complete moral absolutist, but slavery (along with rape and murder) is one of those things where I have to draw the line. I can accept that contemporary people may not have seen it that way (though there were always dissidents who did) but so what? Should our morals be based off of what a Roman centurion thought was acceptable 2,000 year ago? Or should we, with clear eyes looking back on the vast tragedy of human history, say some things are bad and nothing good will come of them? But I digress.

As for violently overthrowing civilization... eh, that's what many adventurer's do. The Sword and Sorcery genre is largely based on the violent rejection of civilization. It's escapism and totally unrealistic (see how do we feed the newly freed slaves), but that's what roleplaying, to me, is all about.
LordMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote