View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #28
RogerBW

Default Re: my new campaign ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I get, for example, that having from one to five dots doesn't give you high resolution in character definition—though they equate roughly to stats of 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 in GURPS terms, so unless you're going for really high-end characters GURPS has about twice the resolution (classic FUDGE, with seven values from Terrible to Superb, is kind of in between).
Except that as far as I remember damaged human is 1, typical human is 2, best possible human is 3, so where's the nuance in characters' interactions with normal people and their attempts to live normal lives? I'd say it's a quarter or less of the GURPS resolution if you look at it in terms of what stat levels are meant to mean (as opposed to what the system gives you).

Having smaller numbers may well make the game seem simpler, but when I've played it there was much more more arguing over / discussion of / trying to understand the mechanics than there was with the same group playing GURPS, because those mechanics didn't seem to have any usable real-world referents.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote