View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #132
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Conditional Spells, Local Mana and Places of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I actually allow Pacts and contracts with supernatural beings that are surprisingly reasonable.

The point being that the temptation to take the easy path to power is a powerful temptation to players. And it doesn't have to transform them into ravenous monsters or mindless slaves. But it does mean being obligated to a being that might, ultimately, have other interests than what is best for you, your loved ones, your friends or even the fate of humanity as a whole.

Interesting stories about temptation don't necessarily need to have the decision to deal with the Devil be indubitably wrong. In fact, it's more interesting when no answer is clearly and indisputably right.
So more Doctor Strange less Doctor Faustus.

Quote:
Great.
Probably end up a total of 5 separate posts. Maybe 6.

Quote:
Fair enough.

Traveling through other realities, especially the parts that some humans have dubbed Faerie/Feywild, is absolutely a thing. It's just usually a hell of a lot riskier than traveling by airplane, even if you're a magic-user.

But I expect that the players will still accept the risks of meeting terrible, inhuman Things and having to heroically fight them, over the risks of their plane suffering some kind of electronic malfunction that leads to the pilot being fatally deceived about the altitude and their lives ending in a mysterious crash into the dark ocean. It think it's about agency, they can fight monsters, even the most horrific ones, but plane crashes might kill them without them ever knowing what is going on or having any chance of averting it.
Cool. Inglorious sessions tend to make player's eyes twitch. Even if they are funny to do sometimes.

Quote:
Well, I am weird.

I'm trying to avoid binary constructions; where characters are either Illuminated [Vile Donkeys] or Mundane Squabs. Having the use of supernatural powers depend on the ability to overcome massive situational penalties that applies in many, but not all cases allows for fairly low point characters who have arranged a special situation where their modest skills are effective and it also allows for awesome high point value types who might know a lot about the supernatural, but are not going to be able to cast spells in a typical city (but might still be able to kick monster posterior). And the true master mages, of course. And anything in between.
So I'm starting to see. It's different - not something I would do, but that doesn't mean it's badwrongfun.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote