View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Decreased Mana Costs as an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
For most spells skill becomes meaningless above 21 (this keeps skills at 16 in Low Mana Zones) except to reduce casting time and cost. The bonus to Thaumaturgy is likewise true, it's meaningless after a certain point (I'd say beyond 26ish?). So to my mind if you're building an advantage that does 'half' of what Magery (above a certain point) does... it should cost somewhere around half.
I thought penalties would come up enough for more skill to matter, and contests always want more skill. Plus, as you pointed out, reducing cost and time is still useful as skill goes up (similar to how a skill can take less time for mundane skills).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Which is what I was eye-balling it at as soon as I read the thread title, making it effectively a -40% limitation to Magery.

This also suggests that Reduced Spell Cost (One College Only) is worth about 15/lvl, totaling -80% in limitations. I rather like that cost breakdown and structure.
Wouldn't that be 10/level? Magery 5 (One College -40%, Only Reduced Cost -40%) comes out to 10.

-80% is definitely too far, but -40% doesn't seem to be enough (however, that's something that I could easily figure out from gameplay).

I like that "faking it" build with ER and Regen. I should point out that having 20+ ER increase the amount of recharge. On that note, the next level of Regeneration being 200pts for "all" seems perfectly reasonable. At that point, each reduction would be 3pts (as you increase ER).

Using all the options, it could be;
Levels 1-4: 30pts each
5 to 20: 103+8pts per level
21+: 200+3pts per level
Some maximum? The cut off could be 400pts, which is similar to level 66 with this.

The other issue, of course, is that I was planning on also using this with Syntactic Magic, where spells don't really have caps on cost. WMG is especially good there, I've found.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote