View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Decreased Mana Costs as an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I can get behind Reduced Spell Cost [30/lvl].
Which is what I was eye-balling it at as soon as I read the thread title, making it effectively a -40% limitation to Magery.

This also suggests that Reduced Spell Cost (One College Only) is worth about 10/lvl, totaling -80% in limitations. I rather like that cost breakdown and structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
For the record, I think spell cost reductions at specific plateaus is by far the worst rule in regular GURPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I've toyed with stripping it and reduced casting time from the skill and making them their own penalties.
Magic p. 9 has an Optional Rule for Alternate Magic Rituals. I toyed with the idea of extending that to cover casting cost and time, with -3 skill giving either -1 cost or 1/2 casting time and doubling cost or doubling casting time giving +1 skill each (you could only get each bonus once, whereas you could reduce time and cost as many times as you could afford the penalty). Ultimately I decided against it because it was one rule too many to hoist onto spell casters, not because I disliked the rule.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote