View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
runarm

Default Re: Ninja Stealth Assassination

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Why start with a grapple? I mean, the target will probably be stunned or unconscious if I choose an AoA, so grappling shouldn't be necessary. Right?
Not necessarily. Even with a double attack AOA you are not guaranteed to put your enemy down since the damage from the two attacks does not stack for major wound purposes.
Doing a single strong AOA "might" put him down, but it's a risk since you might not hit and you might not do enough damage even if you do.
Starting the attack with a grapple allows you to keep the enemy from getting away from you in case your initial attack fails to put him down and it reduces his possible defenses and attack possibilities as well.
Also, your GM might give you a +1 to hit the neck for having the opponent in a grapple, especially if he's mentally stunned.
As a GM I would also ask a player exactly how he planned on cutting the enemy's throat from behind without grabbing hold of the target - that is unless the attacker is unusually lanky. After all, unless the target has a long neck, pulling the head back to expose the throat is almost a requirement.

R.
runarm is offline   Reply With Quote