View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Spirits Hearing Their Own Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
In GURPS Voodoo, one of the powers available to spirits is to hear their own name whenever it is "ritually invoked", with examples being a person remembering them at the graveside of the spirit's previous body, a sorcerous conjuration, or whatever. This seems like a very useful ability for a setting I have in mind, so I set about trying to figure out how to work it up in 4E terms. Unfortunately, it isn't obvious how that would work in game mechanics. Should I just label it a Perk and call it good, or am I missing something that would make the ability worth more than a single point?
It's a perk level Detect (see the Ghost template in GURPS Horror, p. 78 if you need a RAW example). If you're adding modifiers too it (and you likely should) it'll be worth a few points at most.

I created this for my own campaign (thought I may have modified it from another source, I can't remember anymore):

Name Invocation
You have a name by which you are known or that others know you as. When this name is said aloud by another sentient being (IQ 6+), you hear it automatically. With a Perception roll you can attempt to locate that person. Success indicates the location of the person that spoke your name and you may follow up with further Malediction-like abilities or spells. Failure means you get nothing, while a critical failure results in a “blind spot” – you can never “hear” that person speaking your name. Critical success allows you to buy the Super-Sympathy perk for the person who spoke your name if you wish. Use the following modifiers for your Perception roll:

Modifiers: -15 if your name was whispered; -10 if used casually or whispered with powerful emotion; -5 if the name was used with powerful emotion; -1 if your name was ritually invoked or spoken through a specific rhyme or verse. Add any levels of Acute Sense (Name Invocation) to your role. You may also add the higher of your ESP, Magery, or Telepathy Talent.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote