View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
Sindri

Default Re: Improving the Tonfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
It is for my players.
Well games are pretty different. In my experience when given a choice between a weapon with high maximum effectiveness and a weapon with lower maximum effectiveness but greater resource efficiency the best decision is for PCs to take the former because they can actually afford to sink resources into it until they hit the cap and operate in dangerous enough circumstances that the marginal increase in peak power is necessary while many NPCs will end up picking the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Punching doesn't do thr cr unless you're expecting your jutte to double as brass knuckles.
It's a fist load and operates like any other punching improving device.

Quote:
I'd argue that for most baton users, Disarming comes up never. Baton-using high-skill PCs are highly unrepresentative.
Representation doesn't matter within the contest of PCs.

Quote:
Seems to me like the Quarterstaff is likely to be king in that context...
Quarterstaff is strong but other options such as the jutte or nunchaku are defensible.

Quote:
It seems like you're trying to figure out what merits of the tonfa make it suitable for a purpose that there's no evidence that it is at all suitable for.
Well I can't know whether people have ideas for what niche it might occupy until I ask them. Plus kobujutsuka seem to perceive utility in it when they already train things like the bo, nunchaku and sai.

Quote:
I strongly disagree with that, but if that's how your group approaches things we'll have to take that into consideration...
I'd appreciate that.

Last edited by Sindri; 12-31-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote