View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Improving the Tonfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
It's got a real bonus which is useful even if it comes up rarely. The tonfa does thrust crushing at reach C so you can just punch with the jutte to replace that and wear something (or try to acquire a custom jutte with a at least somewhat enclosed hilt) to protect you from Hurting Yourself.
Punching doesn't do thr cr unless you're expecting your jutte to double as brass knuckles.

I'd argue that for most baton users, Disarming comes up never. Baton-using high-skill PCs are highly unrepresentative.
Quote:
I'm looking for a good reason for guys using blunt mostly wooden weapons to use the tonfa instead of the other choices. Things like swords are being completely ignored.
Seems to me like the Quarterstaff is likely to be king in that context...
Quote:
Well yes. It has a significant benefit for NPCs and it will show up with the occasional PC. I'd still like for it to have more value as it's own thing rather than a tool for unarmed fighters.
It seems like you're trying to figure out what merits of the tonfa make it suitable for a purpose that there's no evidence that it is at all suitable for.
Quote:
Saving points is important for NPCs or incidental choices of PCs. Cost saving isn't the sort of thing PCs build around though.
I strongly disagree with that, but if that's how your group approaches things we'll have to take that into consideration...