View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #35
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine Second Edition: What have we learned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredofScissors View Post
I'm not arguing making IN a lot more like GURPS. Changing to a 3-18 range with CD = margin of success is a far cry from the potential complexity of GURPS. I don't want two page character sheets, weird point totals, hit locations and modifiers out the wazoo.

What changing the range REALLY does is to still allow celestials to be amazing at what they do (through higher stat bases), but allows mortals to be competent at what they do. Right now a mortal can really only be good at something by (a) being hyper specialized or (b) by using optional rules. And the line between being terrible and competent is less sharp with a bigger range.

Obviously the ranges (I suggest 10 stat base for humans; 13-14 for celestials) would need to be adjusted, as would the max level 6 in a skill, in order for things to work.
I don't have the materials with me, but I like this idea and ran with it. I made a LARP system heavily influenced by IN rules (its first test case was an IN LARP), and in it, while I kept the 12-scale, I widened the range of human normal within it. Changing IN to an 18-scale is a great idea.

Now I'm not numerate enough to do this off the top of my head, but generally when you change the scale and not the randomizer you've changed the odds of success, often more dramatically than you intended to. Someone would have to do the math. literally, for this to work. I like a high degree of randomness in a game, as knowing an action will always succeed tends to make cocky players. If you have to roll for success, there should always be a tangible possibility of failure. You don't roll to walk down the street, after all.

And Keep. The. Check Digit. Talk about a delicious bit of randomness--sure you've got the stats to succeed 49/50 times, but even then you can't guarantee it isn't merely a fizzling success. Or maybe you fail 49/50, but once in awhile you totally rock the house.

Or as a Marine once said to me--"Yes, but is he lucky?"