View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: The Immovable Foundation-Stone on which TFT Characters are Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
For these Laws to be applicable, isn't it necessary that ST and DX be equally valuable, as posited in Melee? And that IQ has exactly the same value as ST and DX, as posited in Wizard? (Or, that the costs assigned to each attribute in Melee and Wizard are accurate?)
Here's the deal in a nut shell. Melee character creation is based on Algebra; that's why I included the formulaic expressions. But to directly your question of equal-value, can you cite where it says "necessary that ST and DX be equally valuable, as posited in Melee"? I want to get on the same page as you, so I can understand your question.

I do know that the stated premise reads: "or any other combination adding to" so that sounds like variable-value, not equal-value; do you see something else, I am missing?

Quote:
If so, then the laws are likely inapplicable. A strong argument can be made that for heroes, DX is more useful than ST, up to a certain point. 2 additional points of ST will allow you to take 2 additional points of damage - once. 2 additional points of DX will allow you to take leather armor, which allows you to take 2 additional points of damage in every attack.
The only Laws I know of govern the manipulation of numbers as a Mathematical Formula. So I am not seeing how you are tying the concept of the Commutative Law of Addition as it applies to the original premise of character creation, and into the specific weapon/damage/armor rules etc; can you clarify?

O
Quote:
f course, ST does affect the size weapon you can use. But I'd have a hard time agreeing that 2 additional points of damage done offsets the advantage of wearing leather armor.
Do you think it might be more accurate to say ST "governs", as opposed to "affects"?

Quote:
In any case, ST has been given additional advantages in Wizard and ITL, yet the cost has remained the same.
I totally get what you mean here Ty, but it is outside of the scope of the treatise I presented. That one my friend, is another 2000 word Treatise in my files which I should put up here so we can get into and examine together

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote