View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Dunadin777

Default Re: Big Fights and Long Fights in GURPS

Big Fights--Relating GURPS and Mass Combat TS more closely

So I'm going to muse about Big Fights first. Note that these rules are with my fantasy campaign in mind, so while they'll likely be useful in other low-tech settings, I doubt they will be as useful past TL4. But who knows.

So the process is to add your potential soldier's ST, HP, main Attack skill, main Defense skill, and Soldier skill and divide by 5 to get their average. Then add an extra half-factor for every point of natural DR the fighter has, reduced proportionately for limitations to the DR. Then compare them with the following guidelines to figure out what the approximate Mass Combat quality is.

Average quality (average value of 11-12)
Spoiler:  

Inferior quality (average value of 8-10)
Spoiler:  

Good quality (average value of 13)
Spoiler:  

Elite quality (average value of 14)
Spoiler:  

So assuming this system works even half-way decently, a unit of 10 monsters with ST 18, HP 20, Attack skill 12, Defense skill 10, no Soldier skill, and 4 DR(average of 12, plus a factor of 2 for DR, giving a total of 36) should be a match for 3 units of Average quality soldiers. Does this bear out to your sensibilities?

This could also be used to guess at which point a monster should be fielded as an individual unit comparable to a unit on its own, if you just divide its average by to figure out how it would stand on its own or in reduced size units. For instance, a ST 20, HP 26, Attack skill 13, Defense skill 11, a 'soldier' skill of 8, and 10 DR(average of 16, plus a factor of 5, divided by 10 for a solo, for a final total of 10). So such a monster would be a match for a unit of Inferior troops, and therefore might be seen as the floor for a solo monster.

Notes: DR for armor is not figured into this estimation, because equipment is a separate, more easily defined entity, and because equipped armor has more disadvantages built into it as regards encumbrance, chinks, etc.

Also, the reasoning for the DR cost factor is that since natural DR is pretty much going to reduce every hit, a mere DR 2 will give a creature that many more chances to attack and attract a disproportionate amount of attention. The cost factors also ensure that nearly any creature with DR 11 or more is probably going to be treated as a solo monster in Mass Combat, which sounds about right to me considering how hard they'd be for average troops to fell.

Do these figures sound right? Care to plug in your own races, soldiers, monsters into them, see how they stack up in Mass Combat quality?

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen

Last edited by Dunadin777; 01-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote