View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #32
Icelander

Default Re: [WWII/TS/Covert Ops/Weird War II] Götterdämmerung on Walpurgisnacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Well, that makes it all very high-stakes. Any players who may have been hoping to do it quietly are just going to have to go large.
I do want to offer a few minor scenes near the beginning where stealth and bluff are rewarded, but most of the nail-biting boredom of several weeks of covert operations will have taken place in the introductionary text, with the PCs starting the actual game part where the action gets high-octane.

I imagine that a game featuring a covert insertion of a very special strike team into besieged Berlin at the end of the Third Reich to prevent the literal Twilight of the Gods by stealing or destroying a magical McGuffin guarded by the the worst that occult Nazism* can throw at them will inevitably feature high stakes. I'm thinking that the potential stakes are the End of the World, at least as people know it.

I'm leaning toward the impetus for this mission coming from what the scholars of MI-∞ / OSS' Anomalous Observation Section / other comparable organisation found after the taking of the Wevelsburg on the 31st of March 1945. A team sent to the Köningsberg confirmed that the Amber Room had been shipped to a more secure location before the Soviet siege started.

One idea is that the Amber Room can be used to open a gate through time and space. Himmler's coterie of occult masterminds and the pipe-smoking boffins under Maxwell Knight have very different ideas about the consequences of opening such a gate, however. As the Thousand Year Reich burns, the risks inherent in the ceremony become less and less relevant to the Nazi occultists...

*And some seventy-years of fertile and furious imaginations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I have it you have a copy of The Bunker?
Read it once, but do not have it. Imagine that I will be able to obtain it for the game, however.