View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
Crystalline_Entity

Default Re: [DFRPG] The Scholar, Revised

I always like the idea of playing a scholar, but reading the template left me wondering what it was really like to play one in practice.

Wild Talent is great...once per game session, you can do almost anything (especially IQ-based skills or spells given your high IQ)...but once you've used it, that's it for the session. It stops you intruding on other template's niches, but it looked handy in an emergency.

Book-Learned Wisdom on the other hand is flexible, but takes ages - two hours per character point to memorise plus having to carry the weight of books around (even carrying multiple Primers around adds up fast) means that you can't easily reslot abilities mid-delve.

The Hidden Lore and other skills are nice, but I'm not sure how effective they make a delver compared to other templates.

The Sage template seems a little more flexible on paper than a Scholar, with more choice, if I wanted to play a scholarly character I might be tempted to build up a Sage to 250 points than a Scholar, that way I can avoid Book-Learned Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I play one now* and I refused to take Book Learned Wisdom because I see it as a failure of an ability.

* Kinda. It's a Sage, so a 125 point character. but the point still stands.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you find playing a Sage? How does it compare with other characters?
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote