View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Award the Tether: Guinness Book HQ

For more than 55 years, the Guiness Book of World Records has become legendary for recording the fastest, biggest, farthest, and so on. It seems likely to me that its world headquarters in London would have become a Tether of some kind. But whose Tether would it be?

I am accepting any and all suggestions. Some of the thoughts that came out of a discussion with ladyarcana on the subject:

Kobal: The sheer strangeness of many of the records and the "hilarity" caused after some would-be entrants realize that Guinness no longer recognizes their category.

Litheroy: It revealed information that would have formerly been obscure. (The original book was created because of an argument about the fastest game bird in Europe.)

Yves: Similar to his library Tethers, it's something that expands the sum total of human knowledge.

Michael: It commemorates the best, the ones who have competed their way to the top.

Nybbas: It inspires people to try the silliest stunts to grab a shaky 15 minutes of fame ... and fills a slow news day.

Haagenti: Many (though not all) of the records attempted have to do with consumption.

Janus: Many (though not all) of the records involve being the fastest or going the farthest, or else are strange activities that result in people breaking out of a normal routine.

Dominic: This allows a clear judgment as to who has excelled, even in the most trivial of activities.

Asmodeus: It encourages people to turn their lives into a game, devoting inordinate amounts of energy to winning a useless competition.

Valefor: It's a long-shot case, but the Guinness Book is one of the most frequently stolen publications from American libraries ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote