View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #80
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [IW] Non-Nazi Germany-Dominant World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No they weren't standard equipment, but they DID impact tactics and would deftly be in minds of vets. for that another big change the ACW brought, photography and the telegraph meant news and impact was know far wider than "those that were there"
Go read HT p.127. Of the M1862 model, _12_ were acquired by General Butler of the Union Army and used in the war. 3 were obtained by the New York Times and used during the 1863 Draft Riots.

You might better look for people aware of possible gatling gun tactics among the civillly disobediant (or possilby just irate newspaper subscribers) in the NYC area. They'd be a lot more concentrated than those who saw the 12 Union Army gatling guns spread out among the general population of hundreds of thousands of war vets.

I beleive you to be factually incorrect in any assertion that the gatling gun affected tactics in the ACW. If you wish to defend your position I suggest you provide cites.

Historically i do not beleive that the implications of any sort of rapid fire weapon were sinking in to anyone until late in 1914.