View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #46
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
A more sensible, less literal reading of the text might say that you only get the -2 reactions from people who've seen you being a jerk, so they don't kick on on first encounters and you can try self-control to avoid them. ("You need a favour from the Earl of Foo. Rumour is, he's a nice person. Try not to be a jerk.")
That, and the danger of bullying someone who could do you serious, non-social harm, is exactly why I think it is reasonable at -10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
However, I've always had the sense that Odious Personal Habit penalties also shouldn't kick in until the NPC has had a chance to observe the odiousness in action...
I've always felt, conversely, that a full-blown Odious Personal Habit should always kick in right away. It's either something you're doing all the time, or something terrible you're known for at first sight (for example, Odious Personal/Racial Habit, "Eats sapient beings"). Note that Power-Ups: Quirks makes it a quirk to have an Odious Personal Habit that gives you the full reaction penalty, but only when something specific comes up ("Laughs like a hyena at jokes"), so I think that supports my interpretation.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote