View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #88
blip

Default Re: So I dropped my sword... how do I pick it up (in combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That's a lot of action for one second! Breaking it down in terms of Martial Arts, p. 98: You can dive forward from standing to crawling as your entire step. You could later use Acrobatic Stand to spring from crawling to standing as another step. You could associate either step with a Ready maneuver, of course . . . but if you did both in a turn, you would be taking two steps, not one. That's normally the purview of Committed Attack, so I'd allow all this as a kind of "Committed Ready," but I'd impose the same limitations on defenses: no parry with the readying hand, -2 on all other defenses (dodge, block or parry with the other hand, etc.), and no retreat possible.

The former is a somewhat acrobatic low dip-and-scoop, which is doable but, yeah, risky. The latter is something I've seen in demos . . . I have no idea how realistic it would be in a fight.
In Capoeira, Jogo de Dinheiro -- the "money game" -- consists of street players dueling over a bit of paper money (bag of coins, traditionally) thrown into the center of the roda (the circle of onlookers).

The winner is the one who, while the other person is trying to kick him, picks up the money. During a cartwheel.

With his teeth.

This is performance art, but still, this can happen in under a second.

Quick changes of posture are taught as specific maneuvers in several martial arts. In my experience, they're a lot more "doable" and realistic than some of the dramatic "realistic" attacks in GURPS Martial Arts.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote