View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #83
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: So I dropped my sword... how do I pick it up (in combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
So smacking it or the opponent's hand is an actual option. I mean, that isn't unrealistic (though difficult). Then again we were already talking about a very difficult maneuver (if it was just the normal 2 turn pick-up, you just step on the weapon/attack them before they can finish).

Again, just to be clear, "trying to grab it first" was specifically about interrupting the opponent's attempt. This would include less flashy (faster character sees slower character starting to pick-up sword, attempts to use his turn to interrupt) and the "this is how the party knows this is going to be a major opponent" approach where a PC successfully kicks his weapon up off the ground to catch it, and the opposing player steps forward and grabs it before the PC can actually catch it.
Like most 'interrupt' actions, the obvious way to do any of that is with a Wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Even in cinematic games? I'm neither a fencer nor a movie buff, but I recall seeing one swordsman not only disarm another, but do so off of a weapon-based disarming attempt. In some cases, it is very flashy - the weapon goes flying up and doesn't move out of range of the person doing the disarming, so he catches it either on its way (either on the way up or down).

In others it is as simple as not being an especially "violent" disarming attempt: the opponent drops the weapon and it is "mere" caught in the off hand by the disarming swordsman before it can hit the ground.
Honestly, I don't remember the highly-cinematic branch of Martial Arts that well, so I don't know if there's anything out there for that particular move.