View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Shostak

Default Re: Which 3 RPGs for Library Collection?

Trail of Cthulhu, because it is a popular, relatively rules-light version of the classic and venerable Call of Cthulhu--one of the oldies--and it uses the ubiquitous d6. It admirably fills the horror and investigation niche. Gamers who love it will find Pelgrane has amply supported it.

Traveller has weathered the test of time, and represents the space genre pretty well. I might replace this with a good version of a Star Wars game, if only because the brand recognition could bring in a lot of players, but I don't have any experience with the Star Wars games and thus can't recommend one. I'd go with Mongoose's new Traveller Core Book, because it is current.

GURPS Basic Set 4th ed., because GURPS rocks and want to spread the love. GURPS has lasted decades. The Basic Set has everything one needs to play in just about any genre, but its built-in magic system lets this game fill the fantasy niche. (If GURPS Dungeon Fantasy RPG were hardcover, I'd recommend that, but I think many libraries would have an issue with the binding.) 4th edition is current and well supported, and all the 3e books are relatively easy to use for 4th.

One might ask, "Why not include D&D?" and it would be a good question. Part of my reason to not include it is that D&D books are easily found in bookstores, which means they are relatively accessible and thus not necessarily as valuable to patrons. Another is that it requires special dice, which are common enough among established gamers, are not as easily found as are d6.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote