View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #139
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: The 2020 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
This is an interesting funding system, given that any one of those PDFs would probably sell for more than $3 on W23. Is there really that much difference between a sudden, large bolus of money (minus Kickstarter fees) and the slow but cumulative trickle of single-title sales? I suppose there must be; I won't pretend to be a business accountant, just a curious customer and economic observer.
Things like "money now is always better than money later" aside as a true truism, I'm guessing that what this does is eliminate the barrier to entry to the project almost completely. So if you just want in, you get in, and at a low enough price that a reasonable number of backers will fund that first PDF.

For the rest, I have only theories . . . but I will note that not two hours ago Phil launched another of his projects on this model. It funded very rapidly, and while the initial buy-in is about a buck, the average pledge is closer to nine.

There are both "all PDF" options, many of which are Phil's back-catalog stuff, as well as some print options (which include PDFs for free).

I'm super-duper intrigued by this. I will note that I've said not-ironically that "there's nothing wrong with Gaming Ballistic's financial outlook that 1,000 more backers per project wouldn't fix."

A $1-5 on-ramp makes for a LOT of folks in the network.

That's me speculating, tho.