View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #89
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post

1) Perhaps the most awkward element of the original game concerns modifiers to die rolls: Perhaps 2/3 to 3/4 of all such instances call for a reduction or bonus to the controlling attribute, and the remainder call for an increase or decrease in the number of dice rolled. Thus, there are two different mechanics in play, and a very large number of modifiers to keep track of. A better design would condense these into a smaller number of more coarsely 'chunky' modifiers. My advice would be to use a modification to the number of dice rolled for any modifier larger than 2, keep the attribute modifiers only for circumstances that lead to small modifiers (1 or 2), with the only exception being the armor and shield DX penalties (because the power balance in the game depends significantly on the trade off between protection and DX penalty). A very large number of modifying factors (lack of a talent; attacking from the rear; attacking in HTH; casting spells in HTH; etc.) would be reduced to a much simpler rule: add or subtract a die from the pool you roll. I would also recommend doing the same thing with ranges of thrown and missile weapons, making coarse range 'bands' where you roll 3d, 4d, 5d, etc. All of this will simplify learning, the volume of rules on the page, and speed play.
I'm not going to completely agree with this -- one of the things that adds to the spirit of the game is the attribute adjustments. I can see figuring out a simpler way to describe applying these things, but coarsening the results would actually subtract from the game IMHO. Having both rules clearly gives the FM a broad palette of effects that he can choose from in order to better define specific effects for his traps, monsters, spells, etc., when he creates new ones. Flexibility, as we say in the USAF, is the key to Air Power -- and it's equally the key to good game mastering.

Quote:
2) Simply remove the condensed combat rules from the back of Advanced Melee. They are not really significantly simpler than the standard rules and I doubt ever get used.
I agree here -- the combat rules already ARE simplified! What I'd like to see in it's place is better mounted combat rules (including for fliers) and/or mass combat rules.

Quote:
3) At least 3-4 different versions of the experience rules are distributed across ITL, the GM screen and the various original small-format game booklets. Whatever you think is the right answer about XP costs for various things, condense it into a single rule.
Agree here -- and if, at the same time, you can solve Attribute Bloat, well, YAY!

Quote:
4) Remove the random character creation from ITL; I don't think anyone uses it, and it is sort of unsatisfactory even in principle because it doesn't represent the full range of talents and spells and so forth.
I totally disagree here. I use those rules as an FM all the time to add variety to NPCs.

Quote:
5) The optional character 'personality' trait rules are a difficult case - the idea is under developed and I suspect rarely or never used. On the other hand, it is kind of a cool idea and might add a lot to the game with only modest changes/elaborations. So this is a case where you should fish or cut bait: remove it entirely (or relegate it to a zine' article), or reformulate it as an official part of the rules that actually has some practical consequences (influencing rolls, situational attribute bonuses, etc. - something beyond just color commentary on your character).
Again, I want these to remain -- not only do they help beginning players get a handle on how to role-play their characters, but again, as an FM, I use these tables all the time to flesh out NPCs. I would like to see them MORE developed, not cut...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote