View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #42
demonsbane

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
It doesn't in my copy. Clerical Investment, Religous Rank, and True Faith, yes; but not Power Investiture.
Nonetheless, the mentioned section of GURPS Fantasy by roquebfl, Man Proposes, God Disposes (p.F148) is good and suitable by being related to the approach of GURPS Powers: Divine Favor, along with Prayer (p.F149), Sacred Places (p.F149) and Miracles (p.F151). However, the section on Sacrificial Magic in p.F165 could have been linked, in some way, with the reaction roll mechanics for prayers. The same is true for GURPS Thaumatology in its section about Sacrifices (p.T54-58).
. . .Along the same lines, GURPS Thaumatology adds the Power Investiture level, along with +2 for both True Faith and Blessed, for a holy person trying to sanctify a space by making a reaction roll to the deity, which "involves a great deal of prayer, appealing directly to the deity for his blessing." (p.T69)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I miss the inclusion of threats to the god's plans in the category of "serious situations", too, in which the god would be more willing to act than usual: is far from uncommon for an "interventionist deity" to have goals, plans and even some especially dear objects and places that the god wants to protect, like important relics and shrines
Since a very small part of this was very slightly addressed in GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Thaumatology . . .

"-3 if on cursed ground (unless it is cursed because of pollution and the prayer is for vengeance on the polluters!)" (GURPS Fantasy, p.148)

"The GM may apply a modifier from -4 to +4 if he feels that the reasons for the plea are especially weak or convincing." (GURPS Thaumatology, p.69)

. . . I expected at least something a bit more developed in GURPS Powers: Divine Favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I want to combine Sermonize with whatever we get from GURPS Social Engineering.
That is going to work, I assure it: you might have a Bernard of Clairvaux, who, due to his powers of persuasion, made his biographer say that "he was the terror of mothers and wives; friends were afraid of seeing him to approach their friends."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
The thing I love most about this is how it makes i much easier to point to a difference between a mage and a cleric. For too long, a cleric was basically "a mage with healing spells".
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
(. . .) I'd like to point out that it's not modeled on just the Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric!
Yes, that is enough clear just by reading the PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
(. . .) Whether your goal is to empower flashy Dungeon Fantasy clerics (. . .)
Since you are saying this, I want to add that a succinct mention of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy in this PDF would have been interesting.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote