View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #298
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

I had 3 movement poins:
1st spend going into your front hex
2nd spend entering your hex (half of it, with how hex-sharing works in CC)
3rd : in the wind (how to spend it I think is not decided until we decide the outcome of relative positions)

I think I avoided the "+1 movement point per obstruction" (like an ally) since I did not try to avoid you, instead rolling the random dice where I might've accidentally collided.

If I had actually paid that, I wouldn't have had enough Movement Points to actually leave your hex, so I think the result would've been (had I attempetd it) of remaining in your hex, but us switching relative positions (front/back) within that hex.

Since I did not pay it, the remaining MP has only one possible way to spend: use it to pay the cost of exiting your hex into your rear hex, but this leaves me with my back to you, and out of range to punch you, so why should I do that?

In fact... something seems off here: I think I had proposed that (even if we did not accidentally collide) the act of swapping spots in the hex should use up 1 MP.

The distinction with refusing to try to Evade you should not save me MP (there is still awkardness, the hex was cluttered) just that it saved me the 1 AP cost of using the Evade technique (and in turn the chance to make you incur a 1 AP cost if you wanted to resist it) in exchange for the risk of losing 1 AP if I wanted to dodge an accidental collision that resulted (or make you incur 1 AP if you wanted to dodge an accidental collision that resulted)

So I think that uses up all of them, and it should mean that exiting your hex was not even an option at all for me (which is fine, I want to stay close to punch)

One thing I had to review on B387:

Change facing at end of move: Free!
You may face any direction if you used no more than half your move-
ment points;
otherwise, you may opt to change facing by one hex-side.
I had forgotten about this. I have used more than half my MP (2/3) so I can't do a free 180 degree turn, but I can do a free 60 degree turn.

Since I am right-handed, I guess it makes sense to turn right so that you are in my right hex. That way I'm merely -2 to defend against you (attacked from the side) but don't have to suffer the -4 DX penalty for my Left (Off) Hand.

So my turn is over, your back is to me but B386 "You may change facing freely before or after you move" would allow you to do a 180 degree turn and attack me.

If you wanted to attack BEFORE turning... if you knew Karate you could (B230) do a Back Kick at merely -4 to skill (only -2 worse than a Kick, though it gives you defence penalties after) but since you're merely a Brawler, "Wild Swings" (misnomer: it's a thrust not a swing) from B388-389 is an option. Unlike Back Kick it could be a punch or a kick and it doesn't give you defence penalties to do it, but it is -5 to hit and max skill 9.

Wild Swing can't be AOA:Determinred for +4 but I imagine they could be CA:Determined for +2, which would help explain the design of Back Kick (since it gives similr defense penalties).

Normally you would need to pay 2 AP to do so? first 60 is free, next 120 aren't?) but I think we were using https://gamingballistic.com/2013/08/...ile-using-las/

This doesn't give a clear answer though "can either be entirely free, or cost 1 AP for 2-3 facing changes in a move action, or 2 AP for 4+ changes within a move"

I don't like "entirely free" but "1 for 2-3" (instead of 1 for 2 and 2 for 3) and "2 for 4+" (instead of 3 for 4, 4 for 5) sounds okay. If I were designing from scratch (removing free step, free turn) I'd probably just like to remove 'step', always use MP, buy MP using AP, but that's for future battles.

So basically you could use your 'free turn' to at least take me out of your rear hex, and attack me as if I were in your side hex. This would still require a 'Wild Swing'...

Or you can spend 1 AP to do a 180 degree turn, putting me in your front hex. You are still in my side (right) hex due to relative facing so I have a penalty to defend against you.

Regardless of your choice, if you remain in your current hex you attack me from my side (I am -2 to defend)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote