View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
Icelander

Default Re: Scientific Specializations for Exploring Unknown Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
It looks to me as though your list is light on an ornithologist, an entomologist, a botanist, and perhaps a vertebrate biologist such as a herpetologist.
Yes, you are right in that Hubert Caron is carrying a lot of weight, in that he's expected to be the Subject Matter Expert for anything alive without a language of its own...

But who to drop for him?

Or, alternatively, make more rounded, given that the billionaire in question has had years to develop close relationships with top scientific talent in the region (especially Texas, where he is a huge source of funding for multiple universities) and attract scientists and scholars who might believe in the paranormal and alternative theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Also, I recommend wider connections with Caribbean institutions and fieldwork and the universities of the former colonial powers of the area.
Good point.

Denzel Rolle is Afro-Caribbean and educated either in the UK or the Caribbean, before a PhD from UT-Austin.

From my limited research, most post-graduate programs on the islands are considered inferior to the best universities in the US or UK, especially before 1995. This scenario is historical background (the expedition got lost and one PC has just recently returned from 23 years 'Elseahere'), in actual play it is New Year's 2018-2019, and, for example, graduates of the University of West Indies are a lot more significant than they were in the 1990s in the setting backstory.

Still, do you have suggestions for adjustments to better incorporate Caribbean expertise for this 1995 expedition?