View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #14
beetle496

Default Re: Kickstarter general question about profitability

Thank you Andrew Hackard for your time and your insights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Not at all. There's one within a few miles of my house.
My wife reminded me that this first GW store was PK, so it was 20 years ago that I fell into a parallel dimension! Thanks to your prompting, and their store finder, I see that there are now six branded stores within 50 miles of me. They won’t be carrying much SJG stuff.
Quote:
Hobbytown is not "hobby market" the way we tend to use it in these discussions; it's more "mass speciality."
I will try to learn and use your terms. Yes, HobbyTown is mostly about railroad and RC cars. They have some open gaming, and I think it is a venue for my future hosting of a few CW6e games. HobbyTown is who I purchased the Ogre boxed set through, so that earned them a place in my heart!
Quote:
Comic book stores definitely fall into the hobby market, but many of them don't carry games (although they would probably be able to special order most games if they carry any games at all).
The two I frequent most carry a good number of games, but not enough SJG stuff for my tastes. Since I am only a customer, what can I do to get them listed on your Store Finder?
Quote:
Specialized game stores are also in the hobby market as we use the term and would be your best bet if there are any local to you.
It may be the case that I have not been in a “specialized game store” since the 80s. I am not sure I know what you have in mind, and Google does help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
…it only takes a couple people (and a bucketload of faux Internet accounts) to make something appear bigger (or smaller!) than it is.
I was referring to the KS comment traffic, so those are all people who have put up credit cards. Their enthusiam is not fake, and at least has face validity. OTOH, it is probably a very small portion commenting, and maybe the quiet pledges are just ‘meh’ — but there is still a thousand of them, and the KS might well hit $1,000,000.