View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #79
Shoug

Default Re: The Fourth Attribute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
For the record, rather than an HT stat to solve the "Conan the Sorcerer" problem, I would suggest that Wizards be allowed to "double" learn a given spell, perhaps even "triple" learn, which would allow, among potentially other benefits, the ability to cast that spell at reduced cost, either the initial casting cost, maintenance cost (if applicable), or both. One could also make this sort of thing a benefit of having an IQ much higher than the spell's IQ level, which has precedence in the Advanced Wizard rules. One could even combine the above in some fashion. (Note: how this would apply would depend on the type of spell.

Regardless of how it is done, the key advantage is that it becomes much more useful to build up IQ rather than ST. And it is much more elegant than grafting on a new stat to TFT.
I've been toying with the idea of IQ fatigue as a way of handling this type of thing. IQ fatigue would recover as normal fatigue, but it will only recover while you are completely healthy, so it's definitely harder to recover than strength. It also renders your high IQ spells inert to be IQ fatigued below their requirements.

To combine your idea with mine, "double learning" a spell would allow you to fatigue your IQ as a way of powering that spell. You would be called a "Savant" in that spell. Triple learning a spell implies a sorcerous or demonic bloodline, and allows you to to power that spell with IQ fatigue at double efficiency.

I feel like this probably a fair mechanic as it is functionally identical to a powered down version of a Mana stat based on IQ. Instead of annihilating the normal way wizards work, it gives you expanded options.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote