View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Drakyrias

Default Re: Path book magic: Hermetic themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Paths are like GURPS magic colleges and related in an intuitive way.
Books are created by a mage or tradition and the interrelation of the rituals included may be harder to figure out.

Dr. Strange I would do with Path (Vishanti, Watoomb, Cytoorak, Ikonn, etc) and pull stuff from Realm Magic.
Dr. Fate I would do more as a regular Super.
Most other mages would be Path/Book, mixed with some powers.
Ok so technically books and paths could coexist? Reading the chapter again, though, a book practitioner would practice based on their knowledge purely on that book? So would this make them more of a sub set of Path magicians?

My basic premise for how I'm handling the supernatural side of my universe is that most 'mortal' practitioners, including Constantine, are relegated Paths that follow cultural or mystical traditions. Hence my question about Hermetic paths.

So the VouDoun, Druids, etc would learn and practice magic according to those paradigm traditions.

While greater practitioners, use Realms. So Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch, Magick, and Loki all use realms. Dr Strange because he's the Sorcerer Supreme trained in one of the few mystic schools capable of imparting that level of training, Scarlet Witch and Magick though get their Realm magic from being magic based mutants.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote