View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Requires literal cooldown

Like Ulzgoroth says, this sounds like a set of Either/Or limitations. I'd say that the cooldown element is Limited Use. I'd just treat the "dump it in water to cool it down faster" element as Fast Reload. Without that, I think it's fair to say it's about at limiting as Limited Use with Slow Reload - you don't have to take active actions to "reload" it, but you do have to wait longer than would be typical for Slow Reload.

The overheating is Backlash of some sort. You could use lost HT as the Backlash penalty, but (thanks to Christopher Rice), there's also now an enhancement to Affliction to worsen Malfunction, from Pyramid 3.78, in the "Cursed Thou Art" article. It's +10% per level for an Affliction, and each level worsens the Malfunction number by 1 step.

So you could build this by giving the ability that causes the overheating Either Limited Use, 2/day, Fast Reload (by dumping in water) (normally -15%), Or Backlash, Increased Malfunction by 2, (suffer for 1 minute after using the power, roll HT every minute to recover) (normally -20%), and the limitation value would be -15% X -20%, or -3% (I'd round this up to -5%). Less limiting than that wouldn't be a significant limitation. If you make the other abilities of the device Alternate Abilities of this one, that automatically handles the "shut down when the device fails" bit, since all Alternate Abilities are shut down when one is.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote