View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 11:55 PM   #51
Skarg

Default Re: Which is hosed in TFT? Wizard or Hero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The problem is that the divide bakes in a very particular (and peculiar) world--one in which wizards can easily learn all kinds of magic, but tying knots is just somehow harder for them than it is for big dumb fighters.

However, if TFT were to offer equal opportunity costs, then everyone gets what they want. You don't want your wizard to have a lot of mundane talents? Just don't take them! But anyone who wants to have a sword-master wizard will be able to do so without paying through the nose any more than they would for a similarly diverse yet wholly mundane swordmaster.
I would much sooner let wizards learn talents at normal rate, than let everyone learn and cast spells as easily as wizards. I'm not sure there are really any exploits, as wizards tend to put so many points in IQ, and even normal-cost talents mean fewer spells known.

My main concern is the reverse - not wanting a world where knowing spells is extremely common, or a game where the PC fighters all have a spell or several and it wasn't much of an investment.

Of course (as Rick keeps pointing out) Wizards don't have many disadvantages compared to fighters, so removing one of the few might seem yet another reason for every player to prefer to play a wizard.

And if wizards could learn talents normally, why wouldn't a player say they're officially a wizard, but then take warrior attributes & talents, and then have whatever spells they want for 1 memory point an no DX penalty to cast?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote