View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #33
zot

Default Re: Chris Rice's suggestion for to-hit rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
One of these days I will see if I can find an elegant simplification without side effects.

Chris' is just DX A minus DX D, and an easily learned pattern or memorized table.
I started this attempt (before looking for old posts) thinking of just subtracting DX but that seemed too extreme.

Quote:
You can think of it as division but it's just halving.
Right -- calling it "division" makes it sound much worse than it really is. Still, the subtraction plus halving seems to me like it'd bog things down. I've been working on my own system for years and years -- it's not much like TFT at all but I do use TFT as a benchmark for combat speed. Not too many systems are faster in my experience.

Quote:
With a recorded MOD that is half DX -10 (and not using that optional rule where you have to think about whether each DX is odd or even), it means that half the adjDX values seem rather inefficient because you get a -1 to be hit with every other DX increase.
With or without the recorded MOD, modifiers are still getting cut in half. It's maybe just not as obvious to the players without a recorded MOD. For tracking even DX, I think players who are looking for that extra +1 might be motivated to look out for it. You could even use a token on the table for that :).

---

Situational advantages like attacking from behind, stunning, weapon expertise, etc. seem like they should affect the target number rather than get halved.

The Clumsiness spell also seems like it should affect the target number -- I think it's been tested and balanced for 1 ST to shift the roll by 2.

I'm not sure whether armor should affect DX before halving or affect the target number.

I'm hoping to play test this during this week or next, btw (fingers crossed).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote