View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Wait Maneuver clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclose1970 View Post
In the case of a character taking a Wait Maneuver, with the intention of stepping and attacking as soon his opponent closes, does the Waiting character always strike first?

Example: Fighter A is armed with a 1 yard reach weapon, and his opponent, Fighter B, has a 2 yard reach weapon. Fighter A is Waiting for Fighter B to close within 2 yards so that he may Step and Attack. Assuming that Fighter B started 3 yards away, and Stepped and Attacked on his turn, closing to 2 yards, would Fighter A (1.) proceed with his triggered action first, before Fighter B resolved his attack, or (2.) have to parry Fighter B's attack before Stepping and Attacking?

If (1.) does Fighter B still get his attack, assuming he was not injured enough to affect his attack, even though Fighter A is now at the "wrong" range?

In addition, would any of the rules from Cascading Waits (MA pg. 108) and/or A Matter of Inches (MA pg. 110) be needed in this particular scenario?
Wait means you have the initiative. There is nothing the opponent can do to take that away.

Cascading Waits only applies if there are multiple waits being triggered. Likewise I think A Matter of Inches only has bearing in cases where there is actually some question of who acts first, which there is not when one of two characters triggers the other's Wait.