View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #25
Stormcro

Default Re: advice for Oriental characters in Melee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
For me, the world itself is more important that the nit picky mechanics.

However, for the Katana I would go with a broadsword with a long handle so you can use it two-handed with a 1+ damage for using it two handed. And a Bastard sword. And a full on two handed sword (No-Dachi). Jian is just a broadsword. Dao is a broadsword. I like the Kusari-Gama getting whip treatment, but you might allow a DX check to avoid entanglement and a ST check to resist being manhandled by the Kusari user. It's really up to you to select which weapons are allowed and which 'just don't exist in this setting.

You can find weights for period armors online and assigning the appropriate defensive value is up to your interpretation.

Don't be shy with giving the player Fine weapons and armor in the setting. You could also mage 'blessed weapons' the most simple form of magic weapons. "Onimusha can only ge harmed by a blade blessed as the shrink in fukihara." is the kind of thing that helps defeat X monster without giving the players enchanted weapons with permanent bonuses. There is nothing wrong with enchanted weapons, but in an Asian themed game they seem very rare. As are monsters that can only be harmed by enchanted weapons.

I have most of the Usagi Yujimbo Graphic Novel collection (And the actual UY RPG) and it is mostly normal foes and monsters that are killed with normal weapons, with a few foes who need special circumstances to be defeated.
I feel the same way about getting the world the way I want it to feel, I play tested some today by myself, with my new hex battle mat and a few minis and put the weapons to the test. I like the idea of having the weapon blessed for a one time event to make a battle really epic.
I'm doing something along the Okko Graphic Novels story but not spot on. I like the idea of having Ronin driving off on their own plight against demonic Oni and oni bushi or possessed corrupt samurai - driven by greed of power given by the Oni , to ensnare villages and temples , having the Demon Hunters hunt down and clean out these villages etc. that way I can use Wizard as well and keep it Oriental but leaning hard into fantasy.
it's a totally different story line for me, and I'd like to see it played out. I just want to get some of the weapons correct. my son and daughter are excited about playing . I've got a ton of work to do yet. we also love , LOVE the movie Forbidden Kingdom, set in China with Gung Fu and Magical Chi , so many ways I can run with this. but afraid it will be piecemeal -just combat for right now, until I can write out the world story.
Stormcro is offline   Reply With Quote