View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Game] Generate a military sci-fi setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Question 16

In general, are wars fought to blockade, to ground invasion, or something more exotic?
somewhere in between, but ground invasions are the most common end. This isn't necessarily conquest, but nothing proves that "I won" like landing troops and taking stuff. And nothing says "but I'm still in the fight" like repelling such forces. This is not to say that conquest is the goal of most wars: forcing terms on your opponent is just as likely.

Question 17:

How big was that original ark? how many people were in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
As a side note or clarification- what are the purported effects of a polar shift that would necessitate a complete evacuation of the Earth? Realistically, there don't seem to have been any extinctions caused by previous pole reversals, and predicted effects are minor things like ozone holes, increased skin cancer rates and technological disruption, which should be reasonably easy to cope with at a moderately advanced tech level.

Are we just going for extreme levels of solar radiation influx? I'd expect that to be easily dealt with technologically before evacuating billions of people to Mars.

Or are there serious secondary effects, such as extreme climate change, volcanic eruptions and subsequent airborne ash extinction, or excessive seismic activity?

Or, are we looking at more exotic effects?
Agreed. Remember the previous questions folks. We have 1 trillion in this system. We have anti-electronics easily available. We have a large portion if not a majority of people living in orbital habitats. We have reactionless drives and psi in some aliens. All of these imply a lot.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote