View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Witchking

Default Re: [Spaceships] Missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Prior to TL9 <snip> substantially less dV than more conventional rockets.
Kewl...thats why I phrased my reply the way I did...my hands on GURPS SPACE experience is 3E or older...

So if the setting boxes one in like that as a naval designer I would be looking to "compensate" with appropriate Damage Control Systems...

Again much like the Americans at Midway who by chance (somewhat) were lucky enough to have their arm/rearm cycles running right so that ordinance was not scattered over the hangar deck. Also by design as they "invented" the idea of flooding the AV Gas transmission lines with CO2 prior to seeing action. These two steps taken together greatly lowered their combustibility and since "Fire Killls Ships!" kept them alive.

Both of those combined allowed US Carriers to take a greater pounding and stay afloat than their opponents.

Missles are worth having...but within the systems I would be looking to take steps to avoid the "Magazine Hit...no one had a chance to reach the lifepods" scenario.

my 2 creds