View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #33
Harald387

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
If the wizard's light only illuminates three hexes (hypothetically) and the Knight moves six, he's in darkness for some reason.

"But we're all walking together; the wizard should be right behind me."

In reality, that's the case, but not in turn-based game play.
Actually, in GURPS turn-based play explicitly does not begin until combat starts. Kromm mentioned this at one point himself (I believe it was a thread involving Enhanced Time Sense). Until combat begins, everything is narrative. I can't imagine exploring a dungeon using turn-based play the whole time, it'd be a nightmare.

So in your example, when combat begins all PCs are clustered together in the light. If the Knight then decides to go charging off into the darkness towards those half-seen orclike shapes, that's his problem.

Quote:
Now, if the knight goes first and he steps on a five-hex-wide pit trap that opens beneath him, and he's at the far edge, realistically, all of the adventurers should fall into it -- they're all running together! But, not when using Move maneuvers to game it out. The knight went first and moved five hexes forward, triggered the trap, and fell into the pit. Because it wasn't his "turn," the wizard doesn't run off the edge and there are four empty hexes between the knight and him. In reality, they all would have been in adjacent hexes and thus all would have fallen when the floor dropped out from under them.
Again, this isn't a situation where move maneuvers should be gaming it out. Assuming everyone failed Per-based Traps, and assuming the Knight isn't using a 10' pole to test the floor ahead, I'd be asking the entire party for DX, Acrobatics, or Jumping checks (likely at a moderate penalty) to leap clear as the pit begins to open. People who fail fall.

Quote:
Another example. Good Guy halfling thief (Speed/Move 6.25) wants to throw a lever on the wall 6 hexes away. Bad Guy giant ogre (Speed/Move 6) is in an adjacent hex and knows Good Guy wants to pull the lever. He wants to capture Good Guy and gobble him up.

In reality, Good Guy would make it maybe one or two hexes before Bad Guy would reach him. But, in turn-based play, Good Guy will take a Move maneuver and make it all the way to the switch, then Bad Guy will move to him.
If the ogre knows ahead of time that the Halfling is about to dash off and go for the lever, he should be using a Wait maneuver to attempt a grapple when the Halfling starts moving. If the ogre has NO IDEA that the halfling is about to do what he's about to do, then yes, the halfling is going to scurry out of reach before the ogre reacts, and remain out of reach until he stops moving. They move at the same speed, after all. This is pretty much how it should work.

Quote:
Imagine gaming out an American football game with miniatures on a hex battle mat. If someone on the defensive line had the highest Speed, he could just run right around the offensive line and sack the quarter back before anyone else moved. It's a little more complex than that, but you'll understand my point.
Again, the offensive line is using a whole lot of Wait maneuvers to prevent this.

Wait solves MOST of the problems with turn-based combat. In fact, I've been playing GURPS since the release of 4th, and I can count on one hand the number of situations in which 'Use Wait with a trigger' hasn't been an adequate solution. Our group just happens to have found one of those times.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote