View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #103
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

The biggest problem I see with the majority of these threads is that you’re set on what you’ve written and now just need to get people to accept it as rational. You don’t want feedback, you want people to help file off the rough edges. But, when we start pointing out that the entire thing is rough-edges, and you should really re-think it from the ground up, you get defensive.

This megacorp isn’t plausible in a TL8 world. Maybe a (TL8^+Comic Book)×Conspiracy-theories-are-all-real reality. Even in San Francisco.

As others have pointed out, it would have been dealt with long ago the moment the governments realized it was illegally researching any form of military technology. Without pre-existing ultratech facilities, gear and allies, they would have been wiped out and all of their assets absorbed by whichever government had jurisdiction over them.

The best way to fix it is to not have it be a megacorporation as was suggested. Megavillains know if you keep all your eggs in one basket, it’s easier to lose that basket. I have little trouble seeing a tight-knit group of super villains gathering together to control a dozen corporations to make their schemes a reality.

No, existing, corporation could even begin to approach it to do any damage to it. Only national governments could. And they wouldn’t have let it get formed in the first place, removing the need for it to be destroyed at a later date.

And . . . you don't know much about American voters. Many of them vote party line and don't care about advertising. It would be harder than you think to buy that much of Congress. If it were that easy, Apple would have done it years ago, they have $285 billion sitting in their cash pile. If buying the US Government were that easy, they would have done it by now. If it would only cost them $33 billion, they'd save $5 billion from the $38 billion they're expected to pay in taxes. They'd certainly have done it.