View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #52
Stabliser

Default Re: Gettysburg scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
First - I looked at your new cards this morning, and I like them a lot (especially the "1 missile tank or...?" card - I like the idea that some cards have a semi-random result built in). As for the cruise missile card, I really like the concept. Not sure if a battleship firing them would be the appropriate platform, but that part's a simple fix. And the delay in arrival makes a lot of sense. FYI, off-board cruise missiles are 12 VP each, so that card would be worth 24 VP.
Cruise missile card adjusted. The 'missile tank or ...' card needs a modification to the card template to get a 3rd die roll result in the box, another card template may work better, I'm experimenting.

Quote:
As to the size of the deck(s), I think they'd have to be on the large side anyway. After all, there are really only 6 options for 6VP cards, and unless you were mixing the card values withing a single deck, you'd want more than 6 cards to pick from. Either you're drawing them and not putting them back until they're all used (in which case you eliminate 1 possibility each draw, and the last card is a certainty after only 5 draws) or you're reshuffling the whole deck each time, in which case you might want to have multiple copies of some or all of the cards to allow different odds on different units.
I suspect that a reasonable number of cards will be needed to test this idea, but I also suspect that many changes will occur after testing, so I'd rather redo 27 than 100, after the 27 were right, adding the other 73 in the correct form would be less likely to be wasted effort, although I still think 100 is more than most people would print. And I'd rather it was just 1 card pile to draw from rather than a pile for each level of VP - I think this is where we diverge in our idea, but please keep trying to persuade me,

Quote:
I'd really like to turn this into a marketable product, probably funded via Kickstarter. I'm thinking that there would be several different "booster" packs, either with random cards (I'm not fond of that, but some people are) or with pre-set card types, and people could pick and choose what and how many of each they wanted.
I don't think cards that add to the ogre board game would work as randomized collectable cards, A totally separate ogre card game might work, but that'll be something for SJG to pursue anyway.

Quote:
For entry points, I've been thinking that there's a better way to handle losing edges to multi-map games, and here's how. Cards that call for entry onto a side work like this (e.g.): Enter from any N edge hex numbered between 0101 and 0112. You would only need 8 cards like that (first and last hex values of 01-12 and 12-23, N/S/E/W edges - S edge needs an exception to cover 22XX edge hexes but that's all), and in a multi-map scenario the edge hex rule eliminates the middle hexes. I also think that there should be cards for entry via any road hex on each of the 4 edges, and perhaps even one for any rail hex.
Right! Good, that's the generic way to handle it, I'll bodge something together for critique.

Quote:
Objective cards are the hardest since they require the most consideration for balancing purposes. They also are harder to work with, since they aren't always going to be in opposition, so they need to be more for "individual achievement" purposes rather than actual gameplay rules. But they do add flavor, and in a large free-for-all they would probably work very well. Another thing they could do is have specific timeframe goals that allow you to trade them in for reinforcements if you successfully achieve them in time...
Maybe the defender has to pick a group of objective cards, put all the relevant buildings on the map, then had those cards to the attacker who randomly picks one of them and keeps it hidden.

Quote:
Anyway, until ODE goes fully to print, I doubt SJG is even going to consider discussing 3rd party supplements, but if people like the card ideas enough, maybe it's worth investigating. Otherwise, "print-your-own" it is :)
The closest we may come to 3rd party supplements may be the $4,500 kickstarter sheets.
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote