View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #54
Tomsdad

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Okay, let's see the expanded list of possible change categories. I'm not sure how to adjust the vocabulary to make them all fit:
  1. Making something more powerful for reasons of realism.
  2. Making something less powerful for reasons of realism.
  3. Making something more powerful for reasons of balance.
  4. Making something less powerful for reasons of balance.
  5. Making something more powerful for reasons of simplicity/playability.
  6. Making something less powerful for reasons of simplicity/playability.
  7. Making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of realism.
  8. I do not think there is ever a point of making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of balance. I suppose something like getting rid of an exponential effect (buffing lows and nerfing highs of the same thing) might qualify, but that's two changes in one, IMHO.
  9. Making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of simplicity/playability.
I thought that 'nerf' covers #2, #4, and #6, while 'buff' covers #1, #3 and #5. I don't think there are special words to distinguish #3 and #5 from #1, or to distinguish #4 and #6 from #2. If there are, what are they?
There is also making something more realistic for reasons of realism.

You assuming an inherent driving relationship between two separate qualities, that may not actually exist.

"correlation is not causation"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
My acquaintance with GNS is vague and is strongly flavoured by whswhs' tales frustration with trying to understand it. It might be interesting to give it another try, or it might not.
Personally I wouldn't bother as IME it's so subjective as to meaningless once it is referenced by more than one role player.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote