View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #52
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I think difficult is the wrong word to use and implies a gamist POV. There is not positive relationship between difficulty and realism here, there's a positive relationship between reduced spatial awareness and sighted shots. Just as there's a positive relationship between speed and unsighted shots.

Again I think you have to separate difficulty form realism, they are only inherently connected because your inherently connecting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
"Nerfing" is something that's normally done in the context of game balance, not realism. From that perspective, it might be fair to say that changing a maneuver or other rule to better reflect reality isn't "nerfing" even if the end result is to make that thing less powerful or effective.

This eliminates the ambiguity, though you'll have to adjust your vocabulary.
Okay, let's see the expanded list of possible change categories. I'm not sure how to adjust the vocabulary to make them all fit:
  1. Making something more powerful for reasons of realism.
  2. Making something less powerful for reasons of realism.
  3. Making something more powerful for reasons of balance.
  4. Making something less powerful for reasons of balance.
  5. Making something more powerful for reasons of simplicity/playability.
  6. Making something less powerful for reasons of simplicity/playability.
  7. Making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of realism.
  8. I do not think there is ever a point of making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of balance. I suppose something like getting rid of an exponential effect (buffing lows and nerfing highs of the same thing) might qualify, but that's two changes in one, IMHO.
  9. Making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of simplicity/playability.
I thought that 'nerf' covers #2, #4, and #6, while 'buff' covers #1, #3 and #5. I don't think there are special words to distinguish #3 and #5 from #1, or to distinguish #4 and #6 from #2. If there are, what are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
One is system/gamist* quality, the other is a genre preference/simulationist* quality.

We already have cites from people who were part of the this process telling us that increased difficulty was not a factor in this rule.

Well what ever the reason is it certainly effects the game balance of making sighted shots a AoA:D

*all is lost if we're citing GNS theory I suspect.
My acquaintance with GNS is vague and is strongly flavoured by whswhs' tales frustration with trying to understand it. It might be interesting to give it another try, or it might not.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 12-28-2014 at 12:19 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote