View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #40
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [DF] Maximum Skill Levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In particular, consider that a wizard by the book(s) can have:
  • DF 1, p. 13: Up to FP 24* and Magery 6.
  • DF 11, p. 36: Up to ER 20 and IQ 25.
* In DF, the +30% limit does not exist for FP! Check out the templates for casters and martial artists.
Note that this is before racial modifiers! In principle, a celestial or a high elf could have another level of IQ, and all elves can add an extra three levels of Magery. Going just with human wizards, though, we're talking about 44 energy points (plus whatever is in a power item) and effective IQ 31 for spells, giving spells at level 28-29, which means -3 to energy cost and 1/4 casting time . . . or -4 and 1/8 for a small additional investment.

Thus, I don't especially think that skill 30-ish for warriors is silly. If anything, I think it's "keeping up with the Joneses."
Technically wrong, as per the racial maxima table in Dungeon Fantasy 11, p. 5. It lists maximum HP and FP for the different races, by using the 30% rule, and then adding racial modifiers on top of it. Powers items as per DF1 cap at 40 energy.

Also, warriors can get skill 30 rather easily. They just need to hunt for the bonuses a little harder. Racial talents help a lot, as do balanced weapons, racial attribute bonuses, etc etc... Hell, there's a race change potion in my universe, made by gnomish alchemists, that is only hideously expensive, and just has some quirks (race determined randomly, you gain disadvantages equal to the difference in cost between your current and new race, often manifesting as weird side effects like sex changes, ending with technicolor or rainbow hair even if you don't end up as an elf, etc etc. Unnatural features 5 is almost always part of the pack). Oh, and you keep your racial talents if you bought them over the racial base.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote