View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Its a logical extension but I am not sure if it is supported by RAW which says you and people/things you are carrying, which implies they affect your encumbrance level. Keep in mind originally the advantage was their for things like letting your magic items still function in low mana zones (or if you had the second level of the advantage) in no mana zones since they were turned off if their skill level was reduced below 15. It would also allow personal buffs still function in low/no mana zones, and the auto refresh your fatigue pools in high enough mana zones.
I've always played it like this -even when I was using basic magic. Otherwise...it just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
That is very much my concern right now. RPM can shift/clarify the rules a bit for what Mana Enhancer means/does in a RPM game, and could certainly include the explicit ruling of characters touching you are consided to get your bonus as well.
If you are asking me if that' how it should be done with RPM? Yeah, I think it fits just fine (unless PK would like to chime in here). It works. I've proven that it works with hours of game play. Nothing got broken.

Quote:
Another possibility would be if mana levels affected what was considered a Lesser/or Greater effect for a campaign, then I could easily see it being worth at least 20 points a level.
More than that! The difference between a Lesser and Greater effect is triple the cost. If I were pricing a hypthetical advantage that did this I would say....120 points a level. At minimum. Maybe 150. I say 120 points because Control (Magic) is worth 40 points a level and I'd say about 3 levels are needed to reduce the cost from x3 to x1. So something that out, maybe 40 points a level as a advantage reducing the cost of a Greater effects multiplier by 1. So a ritual with 2 Greater effects cast by someone with this one level of this advantage would cost x4, not x5.

Quote:
Absolutely correct, and a major reason I am really enjoying playing around with RPM a great deal.
:-) Ditto.

Quote:
Not doubting that your players are happy at all ghostdancer, and I certainly respect your experience with the system. I do wonder if the rules as currently written for mana enhancer work completely cleanly for RPM without shifting their prices around a bit. Just as we both agreed in an another thread that the modifier for Solitary Magery (-40%) needed to probably be reduced to (-20%) for RPM since certain basic assumptions are different for each system.
And I'm not truly to bully you! Or anyone else for that matter, I just want people to have fun playing games. And if I can help with that...well, it makes me happy. Keep in mind that that halving applies to all Limitations on Magery.

Quote:
Specific rules tend trump general rules though in gaming and mana enhancer uses the specific word of "people you carry", get the benifit. I get the ruling and to be honest it has been a long time since I have run a game featuring a mana enhancer who bought it with the idea of helping someone else out rather than as insurance for their Wizard to be able to still cast in a low mana zone/no mana zone.
I've always used it as "If you touch a mana enhancer and you get the bonus."

Quote:
I like your ruling on this but the fact that the first level of mana enhancer gives you a radius of 1 yard a level rather than 2 yards a level implies to me that the 1 yard radius was chossen to reperesent people being able to make incidental contact with your character to get the "touch" benifit in play.
That makes sense.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote