View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Starfinder thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Hey, thanks for sharing that opinion.

I've been curious about Starfinder, but less so now.

It seems needlessly complicated to have to perform all that adjusting to maintain an artificial power level system.

I'm still amazed at how many RPG's continue to diverge from the promise of universal systems since GURPS' introduction.
It is an annoyance to those of us who have developed a level of expertise with Pathfinder that there are so many changes from it.

There are some better aspects. Like the classes. That's a strength for PRPG and most of the classes in Starfinder look playable. I'm relatively satisfied so far with the Envoy (a face man or Bard who doesn't sing) and the Operative (a Rogue basically).

The Soldier is probably pretty good and I'm working on absorbing the Mystic (Cleric-like) and the Technomancer (Mage-ish). There's also a Mechanic which looks a little like a Druid for Robots (he's got a robot companion) and the Solarian who's kind of Jedi-like for last. There's already a flame war or two about the Solarian over on the Paizo furum.

I'm being tempted by some thoughts about "I could patch that with some House Rules." but I don't like doing that any more. Ghu help me I ran 1st ed. C&S and Space Opera back in the day so it's possible but I was much younger then.

As an example of an Equipment fix you could ignore "item level" and limit access by price like normal games. Then you knock out the ridiculously inefficient bottom tier 9or two) of weapons so that it actually is easier to kill someone with a laser pistol than with a bow and arrow. Also divide prices accordingly.

It's starting to look like a lot of work but maybe.......