View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Another Approach to Spell/Talent Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Starting a new thread because some of the old ones have been going in different directions. ...

The XP cost, regardless of your IQ, is the number of spells or talents you know now, times [arbitrary WAG number] 400, times the “difficulty” of the spell or talent. All spells have a difficulty of 1; talents range from 1 (most) to 4 (Unarmed Combat V). [Difficulty equals current "memory slots" used.]

For comparison: the cost for increased attributes in the current draft:
Added attribute point - XP cost
33rd or lower – 100 XP - deliberately cheap to encourage the new character!
34th – 200
35th – 400
36th – 800
37th – 1,200
38th – 1,600
39th – 2,000
40th – 3,000
41st and later – Magic is needed.
Hi Steve,
I think that this is a great idea!

But the numbers seem way off to me. Let us say I write up a starting character with an IQ of 10 and begin with 10 memory worth of talents. Using your formula, if I want to buy Running (2), it would cost me...

XP needed for the next talent = # of talents I know now x WAG XP x Difficulty #

XP needed for Running = 10 x 400 XP x 2 = 8,000 XP.

This is far to high. I think it should be around 1/20 or 1/25 of that value.

CONCLUSION: You might consider making the WAG number 20 rather than 400. Even a WAG of 15 might work.

EDIT:
Is "the number of talents you know now" equal to (the total difficulty number), or is it equal to (the flat number of talents)? If the latter, then it punishes people who buy cheap talents. I would rather have the former and a lower WAG number to compensate.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-16-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Added question at the bottom.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote