View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
whswhs

Default Re: What do we mean by "Realistic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Certainly, in either case I'd expect whale hunting/poverty to be less common than historically, but in a setting with social/economic realism, I wouldn't expect them to be completely absent (although I wouldn't shoot down a setting where they are absent as outright unrealistic).
An idea I have played with for some years is the utopian campaign: A campaign set in a world where there is general agreement on an ethical code, where all but a few people actually live by that code, and where the result is an increase in happiness and a decrease in conflict. Of course conflict is the basis of narrative and thus of gaming! I think a utopian campaign could certainly have Man vs. Nature; it could have Society vs. Society, if it's threatened with attack from outside; it's possible it could have Man vs. Man or Man vs. Self, though both of those would be much reduced in a lot of utopias. In some worlds it might have Man vs. God/Fate; Olaf Stapledon sort of went there in his cosmic history books, though I don't think they could easily be turned into rpgs.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote