View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Does DFRPG convert damage adds to dice?

The prohibition against converting adds to dice and then adding per-die adds to the new number of dice is for definiteness, not for stinginess! Suppose I have ST 21 (damage 2d/4d-1) and I use a maul (swing+5), for 4d+4 damage. I'm also a Weapon Master with that maul, and get +2 per die for that. And I'm making an All-Out Attack (Strong), and get +1 per die for that. Is my damage:
  1. 4d+4, with the per-die adds making it 4d+16, converted to 8d+2?
  2. 4d+4, converted to 5d, with all the per-die adds making it 5d+15, further converted to 9d+1?
  3. 4d+4, with the per-die adds for Weapon Master making it 4d+12, converted to 7d+1, then the per-die adds for All-Out Attack making it 7d+8, finally converted to 9d+1?
  4. 4d+4, with the per-die adds for All-Out Attack making it 4d+8, converted to 6d+1, then the per-die adds for Weapon Master making it 6d+13, finally converted to 9d+2?
  5. 4d+4, converted to 5d, with the per-die adds for All-Out Attack making it 5d+5, converted to 6d+1, then the per-die adds for Weapon Master making it 6d+13, finally converted to 9d+2?
  6. 4d+4, converted to 5d, with the per-die adds for Weapon Master making it 5d+10, converted to 7d+3, then the per-die adds for All-Out Attack making it 7d+10, finally converted to 9d+3?
  7. Something else I forgot about?
This rule makes 1 the right answer – and, as you can see, the simplest and most intuitive one.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote