Thread: Tarantuloids
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
dommer2029

Default Re: Tarantuloids

Hi Brett,

I like the idea of new units and scenarios that can be played on the Ogre map, so the Tarantuloids are good stuff, even if I am trying to pick apart Scenario 3.
Here's another thought: are the Terrans obligated to land the howitzers? The scenario doesn't say they have to. If they don't, then even if all 27 squads are destroyed, the Terrans still win. I'll bid 0 troopers and still take the win as Terrans!
As a third thought, the Terrans win if any howitzers cover at least 4 craters. It seems like it would be possible to have all the Terran forces (minus one retrieval boat) in one corner, and then land the second retrieval boat on turn 9 in any spot that covers at least 4 craters and is at least 3 hexes away from the nearest spider. The Terran stops attacking for the last few turns, preventing the Tarantuloid from gaining reinforcements that might be closer to the howitzers. The howitzers set up before the end of the game and the Terrans win.
It seems like, in your playtesting, you had some details about the scenario in mind that didn't make it to the final description. If the expectation is that the howitzers will be centrally placed, you could flip the victory conditions around: Terrans win if at least 9 (for example) craters are covered by active howitzers, Tarantuloids win otherwise.
dommer2029 is offline   Reply With Quote